Day Centre Volunteer
Responsible to: CREST Disability Project Worker
Hours: 11am to 4pm
Days of operation: Tuesday (Walthamstow), Wednesday (Chingford) and Thursday (Leyton/Leytonstone)
Currently the service operates during school term-time only.
Expenses: CREST will cover the cost of any reasonable travel expenses incurred by the volunteer. Those remaining at the service for a full day are entitled to a free lunch.
CREST Waltham Forest administers a disability day-care service which spans the London Borough of Waltham Forest. It provides a day once a week where people experiencing significant disability or dementia, referred by healthcare professionals and Social Workers, are able to access a range of activities designed to promote healthy living and to support them to remain in their own homes. The Day Centre Volunteers have the important responsibility of firstly being a welcoming and reassuring “face” of CREST from the moment they arrive at the centre, of engaging with service users throughout the day, and of ensuring they get the maximum enjoyment and benefit from the day.
- Prior to service users’ arrival and throughout the day, to assist in the daily preparation of the day centres
- To assist and contribute to service users’ needs appropriately, enabling them to participate fully in the day and with any activities
- To assist with the serving of food and beverages, help with washing/drying up and any general cleaning needed
- To escort service users to and from the toilets and, if it becomes necessary, to ensure that any assistance with service users’ personal care is provided with dignity and respect.
- To ensure service users are ready to safely and comfortably use transport provided.
- To ensure that best practise is adhered to at all times and to notify the Project Leader immediately of any significant incidents, issues or concerns
- To attend training as and when required and be able/prepared to commit to at least a six-month period.
- Effective verbal communication.
- Excellent listening skills.
- A flexible approach in assisting service users.
- Understand and be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Punctuality, reliability and dependability.
- Understanding issues faced by service users and to be empathic to their needs.
- All of those working with vulnerable people through CREST will be subject to an enhanced CRB check
Follow this link:
to download our Volunteer Application Form or for further information, ring Paula on 020 8521 2975