Charity Shop Volunteer
Charity Shop Volunteer
As well as being an important source of revenue, the shop is the public face of CREST. Members of the public and supporters of CREST can visit the shop to buy a range of items that have been donated. It can be a very busy environment and there are lots of regular customers. We commonly sell books, clothes, records, CDs, bric-a-brac and ornaments.
Accountable to: Volunteer Overseer
You do not have to be able to undertake every single task. If you would like to discuss, please give us a call. You will be working alongside another volunteer at all times.
- Sorting sacks of clothes and other goods to decide what is suitable for sale
- Packing up/disposing of any goods which are not to be sold in the shop
- Hanging clothes on hangers
- Pricing goods
- Putting stock out for display on the shop floor
- Serving customers at the till
- Removing unsold stock from display
- Helping to keep the shop tidy and attractive
- Providing assistance to customers in a welcoming and helpful manner
- Helping with the designing and creation of displays
- Maintaining the stockroom
We are looking for:
No special qualifications or experience are needed to work in the shop, as any relevant training will be given. However, the following qualities and skills are important:
- An interest in the shop, and an enthusiasm for raising money through its work.
- The ability to work as part of a team and get on with other volunteers in the shop.
- Able to provide a friendly, high quality service to customers.
- A commitment to equal opportunities and to treating all individuals who visit or work in the shop with dignity and respect.
- A willingness to help with a range of tasks in the shop, and to undertake tasks as requested.
- Able to lift bags and boxes
- To be confident handling money
- To engage customers in the work of CREST and its services
This role could be filled by a number of volunteers. We would ideally like to have four volunteers supporting every day.
For at least 4 months and ongoing, ideally giving a minimum of two half days per week.
Shop opening hours are 9.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Saturday.
Volunteers are reimbursed for reasonable ‘out of pocket’ expenses such as travel and lunch (if working across the lunch time period).
CREST asks potential volunteers to complete an application form. CREST will invite candidates in for an informal meeting/interview, giving both parties the chance to ask questions and decide whether or not the partnership is right. We endeavour to be as flexible as possible to incorporate the volunteer’s interests and goals within the role. Two references are obtained before volunteers start and a criminal records check form is completed once they have started (see below).
All roles at CREST are exempt from the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and all convictions, spent or not, must be declared. Any criminal record disclosed to us will be considered on its merits and disclosure does not necessarily exclude someone from volunteering.
- To gain experience working with diverse client groups.
- Gaining work experience to help with future career.
- To learn about the work of a community centre providing services to vulnerable people.
Applications and Interviews:
To apply, please contact the CREST Charity Shop on 020 8503 6576 for further information or follow this link:
to upload our Volunteer Application Form